I am very excited about this recipe because not only is it fresh and delicious to eat relaxing at home, its even better in transit. Flight travel or any kind of travel is exhausting. With a combination of getting everything you need into your confined luggage’s (including weighing it on human scale-if you are like me), getting to the airport on time, waiting in line for the TSA security check, the hike to your gate, then the line to board, searching for a spot place your things (limbs included) on the cramped plane is STRESSFUL. I get anxiety just thinking about the shabang. However these brown rice wrapped suckers are game changers. No they don’t wont get you into the priority line but man do I feel high class eating it on my flight while others munch on bummer airport food. I now have something to look forward to inflight and I can say it definitely helps my overall well being through out the day…..AND I feel a little bit like a task master pulling it off. Try it out, or if you happen to be in LA and are heading off somewhere, I will do my best to send you off with one. 🙂
This is what the Brown Rice paper should look like after soaking it for 5 seconds in warm water.
After adding the amazing black bean sesame pasta (find at wholefoods). Seriously, its a great source of protein and gluten free!
I tend to build these wraps as I would a burrito. Line everything up in the middle, about 1.5 chicken tenders used in one wrap or 1 larger sized chicken tender, I added sliced jicama, red peppers and fresh cilantro.
I have one of those craft “veggie spiralizer’s” from Sur La Table I love to play with. However you definitely do not need it for this dish, you can also use a potato grater or just thinly slice your carrots (in this picture raw sweet potato is what has been spiralized.
This cashew cream is so fresh and yummy that I have to be careful not to just eat it strait from the jar and forget the whole wrap. I used an immersion blender that I purchased at Costco, you can also use a blender or food processor to make this! I just found using the immersion blender gives me a little more kitchen room and a little less cleaning up afterward.
MMmmm isnt she a beaut!? In this photo you can see that I sprinkled a little black sesame seeds, I LOVE sesame but it is also optional. I have also added mung bean spouts but you can also go crazy and add some of your favorite fresh veggies instead or on top of it all (onion, spaghetti squash, sugar snap peas, etc.)
If you are more of a salad person than a wrap person (I am sometimes, no shame), it also makes a wonderful salad!
- THE WRAP & FIXINGS:
- 1 package of Brown Rice Spring Roll Paper
- 1 Red Pepper
- 2 long Carrots (use a mandolin of potato skinner to slice)
- ½ Jicama
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 head of Romain Lettuce (can also sub spinach or any other favorite greens)
- Sprinkle of Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 package of Mung Bean (also optional)
- Chicken Marinade: (Note: you can also use your own Asian marinade or try Trader Joe's Thai peanut dressing) Yum! or barbeque
- 4-6 Chicken Tenders
- 1 tsp crushed Garlic
- 1tsp Ginger Juice (found in a bottle at whole foods) *can sub for real ginger
- 1 spray of Bragg liquid amino acids
- ¼ cup Coconut Milk
- ½ tsp Coconut Nectar
- half a handful of fresh Cilantro
- squeeze of Lime
- sprinkle of Cayenne
- CILANTRO SESAME BLACK BEAN PASTA:
- 1 Package of Black Bean Pasta (found at whole feeds, but mung bean or others would be yummy too)
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp sprinkled Sesame Seeds
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne (optional)
- ½ cup chopped Green Onion
- GINGER CILANTRO CASHEW CREAM:
- 1 cup soaked Raw Cashews (soak cashews in water for 2 hours or longer)
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp crushed Garlic
- 1 handful of Cilantro
- 1/tsp Ginger
- squeeze of fresh Lime
- CILANTRO GINGER CHICKEN:
- Put all of the ingredients into a zip lock back and let marinade for 2+ hours (sometimes I make it a day in advance)
- After letting chicken marinade you can cook on a saute pan or barbeque the chicken tenders
- I used a saute fry pan and cooked each side for about 3 minutes.
- BLACK BEAN PASTA:
- Cook pasta according to the package.
- Drain and move to a salad bowl.
- toss salad with remaining ingredients
- CILANTRO CASHEW CREAM:
- Soak raw Cashew in a 2 cups of water for 2 hours, then drain. Add the remaining ingredients and blend in food processor, blender or immersion blender.
- Refrigerate when finished or serve right away!
- TO ASSEMBLE THE SPRING ROLL:
- Follow the rice paper instructions
- plate the rice paper,
- add, black bean pasta (being careful to leave room for all of the other toppings)
- add chicken, and your choice of veggies, I used Jicama, red peppers, carrots, and sweet potato
- then add cilantro cashew cream along the side
- sprinkle with fresh Cilantro and sesame seeds
- fold the spring roll as you would a burrito
- Enjoy! or wrap in plastic wrap/foil and save for your travels or work!