Ice cream is my weakness. I said it. Its pretty impossible for me to turn down ice cream and with my job that can be a problem. Because not only can I not resist but I just cant stop. You would think I would learn a lesson after the intense stomach ache after, but for some reason that slips my mind every time I cave and inhale a bowl. So I had to figure out a way to trick my brain into being okay with a less guilty type of Ice cream.
I hopped on the frozen banana ice cream train. AND… it wasn’t bad. I have a variety of options depending on time of day or what I am in the mood for. One that I Love and is a bit of a go-to recipe is about 1 1/2 frozen banana blended with a scoop of Essential living foods Cocoa Energy mix (can also add mint leaves, cacao nibs for mint chip option). They use coconut sugar to lightly sweeten the blend and it gives me an energy boost before or after my work outs. I also like using their Diet Support blend. This blend has a kick (Ginger, Cacao, Maca etc) , and although it already has it, I add a nob of ginger to the mix for some extra spice.
Some other fun options:
Vanilla extract or vanilla bean, fresh or dried lavender, sea salt, and drizzle with honey.
Basil leaves, vanilla, and lime zest.
Cacao nibs, Essential Living Athlete Fuel, any kind of nuts, or top with berries.
Toasted coconut and cinnamon
Peanuts and drizzle with honey and Sea salt.
For people that like dairy:
Ricotta cheese, strawberries and balsamic drizzle.
Mascarpone cheese and expresso beans or coffee liquor
Always try to buy at least 5 bananas when you head to the store, this way you can eat some and then put the rest in the freezer for nights when you want to indulge but are trying to stay clean and healthy.
- I use about 1 1/2 to 2 frozen bananas for myself.
- Depending on the type or blender or food processor you have you might want to play it safe and chop the bananas in 4’s first.
- I use a Vitamix and do not have a problem blending the whole frozen banana but chopping in half or 1/4 slices helps with time too.
- When it reaches a soft serve consistency or fluffy ice cream, add your ice cream fixings.
- In the photo I have added 1 scoop of Essential living foods Cocoa Energy mix and Cacao nibs.
- Serve immediately or store in freezer friendly container for later.
*** if it gets icy after you have stored it in the freezer, I throw it back into the blender with another frozen banana and its good as new.